Welcome to my Blogger: English lessons ...E4B... Download documents ...E4B... Videos ...E4B... and all about english ...

Writing: How to write a "Letter of complaint"

Writing: How to write a "Letter of complaint"


what does complaint means

complain  [kuhm-pleyn] 
1. to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief; find fault: He complained constantly about the noise in the corridor.
2. to tell of one's pains, ailments, etc.: to complain of a backache.
3. to make a formal accusation: If you think you've been swindled, complain to the police.

Useful Phrases and Vocabulary

Even when you complain about someone being rude, or has done something you consider wrong 
or unpleasant to you, you shouldn't be rude in return! Be criticizing but polite! 
Here are some useful phrases you can use to be polite: 

 I am writing in connection with… 
 I am very disappointed because…. 
 Unfortunately, your product (service) was… 
 I hope that we can overcome this difficulty… 
 I would be grateful if you could…. 
 I am sorry to have to inform you that… 
 On using this product I discovered… faults… 
 I look forward to… 
 I wish to complain about… 
 According to…, but… 
 Despite my request for… 
 …is not what I expected 
 I am particularly unhappy about… 
 What would suit me best is… 
 I am writing to complain about… 
 I am writing to express my concern about the fact that… 
 I feel I must complain to you about… 
 I must insist that you… 
 I must urge you to… 
 I am writing to inform you of an apparent error in your records…

Other useful phrases:


• Poor standard of service/slow service 
• No accommodation/Travel delays/Rather rude staff 
• Badly scratched/dented wrapping/packaging 
• To claim/demand for a refund 
• Defective/faulty goods/defective item/machine 
• The… may need replacing 
• To restore an item to full working order… 
• I am enclosing the broken radio in this package; please send me a replacement.. 
• I am returning … to you for correction of the fault/for inspection/repair/servicing 
• I am asking for/I wish to get a replacement 
• You said that … I feel sure there must be some mistake as I am sure that… 

How to end a Letter of complaint ! 

• I do not usually complain, but, as an old customer, I am sure you will be interested in 
my comments. 
• We look forward to dealing with this matter without delay. 
• I feel that your company should consider an appropriate refund. 
• I would be grateful if you would send me a complete refund as soon as possible 
• We feel there must be some explanation for (this delay) and expect your prompt reply. 
• Will you please look into this matter and let us know the reason for … 
• Thank you for your assistance. 
• I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. 
• I am returning the damaged goods/items… and shall be glad if you will replace them. 
• Please look into this matter at once and let me know the delay. 
• Please check your records again. 
• Thank you for your cooperation in correcting this detail… 

Use of However, But and Although

However, but and although are very similar in meaning, but their grammar is different. But and although connect two parts of the same sentence. Although sometimes comes at the start of the sentence. However usually starts a new sentence and is followed by a comma. 
Ex:
1. You can call the Cable Company 24 hours a day, but it takes them a long time to answer. 
2. Although you can call the Cable Company 24 hours a day, it takes them a long time to 
answer 
3. You can phone the Cable Company 24 hours a day. However, it takes them a long time to answer. 


Sample letter

You recently visited a local sports center and were dissatisfied with the service provided. You have decided to write to the manager. 
Carefully read this advertisement for the sports center and the notes you have made. Write a letter to the manager, complaining about the service you received and suggesting improvements. 

Model:


When you have written your letter, check: 
 It is a formal letter 
 It includes all the information necessary 
 You have asked all the questions you need to 
 The questions are correctly formulated indirect questions 
 The letter is divided into paragraphs 
 You have checked the letter carefully for mistakes 

See also: Making and Responding to Suggestions
             : 





share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 13:29 and have 0 comments
comments
0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment