Welcome to my Blogger: English lessons ...E4B... Download documents ...E4B... Videos ...E4B... and all about english ...

Wishes / if only ...

Wishes / if only ...


We can use I wish or if only to express a wish.
Wish and ‘If only’ are both used to talk about regrets – things that we would like to change either about the past or the present.

............................................................................................................

  • We use past tense modals would and could to talk about wishes for the future:

- I wish you would put those shelves up soon.
- Tom wishes his neighbors wouldn't make so much noise.
- I don’t like my work. I wish I could get a better job.




............................................................................................................


  •  We use past tense forms to talk about wishes for the present:

- I wish I lived in a big city. It's so boring in the countryside.
- We all wish we had more money, don't we? 
- If only I was taller, I might be better at basketball. 
- These seats are very uncomfortable. I wish we were travelling first class.


............................................................................................................

  • We use the past perfect to talk about wishes for the past:
- I wish I had worked harder when I was at school.
- Mary wishes she had listened to what her mother told her.
- I wish I hadn't spent so much money last month.


............................................................................................................





Video










share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 16:51 and have 0 comments
comments
0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment