Welcome to my Blogger: English lessons ...E4B... Download documents ...E4B... Videos ...E4B... and all about english ...

Causative verbs: Let / Make / Have / Get

Causative verbs: Let / Make / Have / Get




Causative verbs show us that some person or thing helps to make something happen; they express what causes an action to happen.


Let

FORM

[let + person + verb]

USE

This construction means "to allow someone to do something."
Examples:
  • John let me drive his new car.
  • Will your parents let you go to the party?
  • I don't know if my boss will let me take the day off.



Make

FORM

[make + person + verb]

USE

This construction means "to force someone to do something."
Examples:
  • My teacher made me apologize for what I had said.
  • Did somebody make you wear that ugly hat?
  • She made her children do their homework.



Have

FORM

[have + person + verb]

USE

This construction means "to give someone the responsibility to do something."
Examples:
  • Dr. Smith had his nurse take the patient's temperature.
  • Please have your secretary fax me the information.
  • had the mechanic check the brakes.


Get

FORM

[get + person + to + verb]

USE

This construction usually means "to convince to do something" or "to trick someone into doing something."
Examples:
  • Susie got her son to take the medicine even though it tasted terrible.
  • How can parents get their children to read more?
  • The government TV commercials are trying to get people to stop smoking.


Summary









share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 00:44 and have 0 comments
comments
0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment