Welcome to my Blogger: English lessons ...E4B... Download documents ...E4B... Videos ...E4B... and all about english ...

Reported speech

Reported speech


- We use reported speech when we are saying what other people say, think or believe.
In reported speech we give the meaning of what was said rather than the exact words.
•  Direct Speech: “I've been to London three times.”
•  Reported Speech: She said she’d been to London three times.

We often use “reported speech” when talking about a conversation that happened in the past. There are some changes to the verbs with reported speech; read the table to find out how each verb tense changes:


 Another table:


Other verb forms also sometimes change:


Things are slightly more complicated with imperatives.


*  Adverbs and adverbial phrases of time change as follows:


 Ex: “I  saw  her  the  day  before  yesterday”,  he  said.  
=>  He  said  he’d  seen  her  two  days before.
“I’ll do it tomorrow”, he promised. 
=>  He promised that he would do it the next day.
She  said,  “My  father died a  year  ago”.  
=>  She  said  that  her father had  died  a  year before/the previous year.

Reported Speech: Requests, Orders, Questions

“Asked me to” is used for requests.
“Told me to” is stronger; it is used for orders/commands.
The main verb stays in the infinitive:
- She asked me to make copies.
- He told me to go to the bank.


Video:










share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 20:41 and have 4 comments

4 comments: