Welcome to my Blogger: English lessons ...E4B... Download documents ...E4B... Videos ...E4B... and all about english ...

Conditional types

Conditional types


--The use of conditional clauses:
We often use if to express a condition.
If you're going into college, I could give you a lift.

Here there is a conditional clause ( If you're going into college ) 
and a main clause  or "result" ( I could give you a lift ).


Conditions can be open or unreal.
Open: If it rains tomorrow,I won't go.
Unreal: If I was a bit taller,I could reach.

It is possible to use other words instead of if in first conditional sentences:



Type 1:
if + simple present + will + infinitive

How to form the first conditional?:
CONDITION:  if + subject + present simple
RESULT:  subject + future (will/won’t, going to)


Negation of Conditional Sentence Type 1:


We use the First Conditional to talk about future events that are likely to happen.
• If you give me some money, I'll pay you back tomorrow.
•  If it’s sunny tomorrow, I’ll go to the beach.

The "future clause" can contain 'going to' or the future perfect as well as 'will'.
• If I see him, I'm going to tell him exactly how angry I am. 
• If we don't get the contract, we'll have wasted a lot of time and money.

The "future clause" can also contain other modal verbs such as 'can' and 'must'. 
• If you go to New York, you must have the cheesecake in Lindy's. 
• If he comes, you can get a lift home with him.


Type 2:
if + simple past + would/could/should/might + infinitive 

How to form the second conditional:
CONDITION:  if + subject + past simple
RESULT:  subject + would/might/could + verb


The Second Conditional is used to talk about 'impossible' situations.
• If we were in London today, we would be able to go to the concert in Hyde Park.
• If everyone had clean water to drink, there would be a lot less disease. 
Note that after I / he/ she /it we often use the subjunctive form 'were' and not 'was'.
• If she were happy in her job, she wouldn't be looking for another one. 

The Second Conditional is also used to talk about 'unlikely' situations.
• If I went to China, I'd visit the Great Wall.
• If I was the President, I'd reduce taxes.



Type 3:
if + past perfect + would/could/should/might + have + past participle

How to form the third conditional:
CONDITION:  if + subject + past perfect
RESULT:  subject + would... + have + past participle

We can use the Third Conditional to talk about 'impossible' conditions, impossible
because they are in the past and we cannot change what has happened.
• If I had worked harder at school, I would have got better grades. 
• If I had had time, I would have gone to see him.

Videos

                                         







share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 00:57 and have 0 comments
comments
0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment